Catholic Church Kilsyth


Photos from the History of St Patrick's Church
Click on any image to get a larger picture
The photograph, above left, is of the first St Patrick's church and was taken by
Mr John Watson from the Burns and Old Parish Church who was a renound
local amateur photographer. The first St. Patrick's church was built on the same
site as the modern church during 1865 and was formally opened on 17th March
(St Patrick's Day) 1866. It was a modest stone building and was built in the
traditional 'modern gothic' style which was universally used for places
of worship at the time. After a fire in 1954 the old church was finally closed on
New Years day 1962 and was demolished. Building work on the new church
began on the 8th of October 1962 and the laying of the foundation stone by His
Eminence Gordon Cardinal Gray took place on St Patrick's Day 1964. Exactly a
year later the building was opened by Cardinal Gray on 17th March 1965
precisely 100 years after the original church commenced construction.
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Of the following pictures we have only some information. Can you help identify the people dates and occasions?

1987: Canon O’Connell introduces the new Apostolic Pro Nuncio to Great Britain and Ireland, Archbishop Luigi Barbarito to Fr Mullen.
Archbishop O'Brien looks on.

Cardinal Gray comes to open St Patrick's new Church


l-r: Canon Ward, Canon John Ryan PP of Holy Cross Croy, Archbishop Campbell and Canon Michael Downey (right) Parish Priest of St Patrick's Kilsyth until his death on Christmas Eve 1954

Procession to the playing fields
Click on any image to get a larger picture

Click on any image to get a larger picture
Two sad memories for the parish
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Click on any image to get a larger picture
Parish activities

Kilsyth Emmet

St. Patrick's Flute Band

Kilsyth Dramatic Club (1)

Kilsyth Dramatic Club (2)
Click on any image to get a larger picture

Amongst the first arrivals at Bellahouston for the Papal Visit was this large party of stewards from St. Patrick's.
They were accompanied by upwards of thirty members of our Male Voice Choir, The Columban Singers, who were part of the mass Choir for the great occasion.



Archbishop O'Brien and
Canon O'Connell with Canon McGarvey for a Mass in the Canon's home at Johnstone Avenue Kilsyth.
His Eminence Cardinal Gray with Concelebrants on the occasion of the Final Profession of,
Sister Mary Carmella and
Sister Mary Margaret
at St. Patrick's on Saturday
7th April 1984
Click on any image to get a larger picture

Canon O'Connell with Prince Charles
at the opening of the Queen's Jubilee
youth camp at Westwood, Cumbernauld,
1978

Archbishop O'Brien congratulating Canon O'Connell
on his appointment to the Cathedral Chapter,
2nd December, 1986

St Patrick's Boys Guild 1954

St Patrick's Boys Guild football Team 1954

If you can identify them - please let us knowby emailing us at webmaster@saintpatrickskilsyth.org.uk

Parish Trip of Date and Place unknown

Parish Trip of date and place unknown


The Papal Blessing from the 100th Anniversary of the Parish

Sister Mary Andrew sits amongst the attendees at a concert for senior citizens of the Parish in the old St Patrick's Hall on 31st March 1977. Also in the picture are Mrs Sadie McCulloch, white jacket and striped top on the left of the table and Ronald Scullion glasses bottom right. If you can identify any others please let us know by emailing us at webmaster@saintpatrickskilsyth.org.uk

Click on any image to get a larger picture

 
God BlessYou!