J Andrew MacIntyre was born in Glasgow in 1872.
He was educated at Blairs College in Aberdeen from 1890 to 1892
and then continued his senior seminary studies at Valladolid
in Spain from 1892 – 1899. He was ordained in Valladolid
His first posting as an assistant Priest was to St Patrick’s
Kilsyth to serve with the then Parish Priest Canon Michael Turner.
His posting in St Patrick’s Kilsyth was to last for 2
years 1899 and 1900 and as far as we can tell, he was the first
native born Scottish Priest to say Mass in Kilsyth since the
reformation. ( The first native born Parish Priest of St Patrick’s
Kilsyth was Canon Thomas McGarvie who did not come to Kilsyth
until 1956 such was the dependency upon Irish Priests in Scotland.)
After his posting at Kilsyth, Fr McIntyre went to St Mary’s
Cathedral in Edinburgh from 1900 to 1901 – as was the
norm for new Priests. It was customary to serve for a period
early after ordination at either the Cathedral or one of the
larger metropolitan congregations in Edinburgh to learn the
ropes under the watchful eye of the Archbishop before being
sent out to the remote Parishes of the Archdiocese.
After a short period of just over a year at the Church of the
Immaculate Conception in Bathgate, Fr McIntyre was then appointed
as Parish Priest and spent a longer spell at Cowdenbeath from
1902 to 1916. After this there was another long placement as
Parish Priest at Our Lady of the Waves at Dunbar from 1916 until
Apparently Fr McIntyre fell ill there and had a period of 2
years sick leave starting in 1926 and ending when he returned
to active ministry in 1927 at St Joseph's Peebles where he stayed
for 2 years until 1929.
Fr McIntyre’s final mission was to the Holy Name in Oakly,
Fife where he served the parish there for 7 years until his
death from influenza on 6th January 1937. His remains are buried
at Mount Vernon Cemetery Edinburgh.
Good and faithful servant of God – may he rest in peace!
based on source: Scottish Catholic Secular Clergy
1879 to 1989 by Christine Johnson, pg 41.
Rev Fr. J. Andrew McIntyre. (N.B. different
spelling of MacIntyre in Obituary notice)
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Rev. J Andrew
McIntyre who died on the 6th Jan 1937 in the 65th year of his
age and the 38th year of his priesthood.
Rev J. Andrew McIntyre was born at Glasgow on the 12th Aug 1872.
Entering Blairs in 1890 he went to Valladolid in 1892 where
he was ordained priest on the 21st May 1899. Returning to Scotland
in the same year he served as curate at St Mary’s Cathedral
Edinburgh, Kilsyth, Lochgelly and Bathgate until, in 1902, he
was appointed to Cowdenbeath as Parish Priest. Here he worked
for 14 years. Never of a strong constitution, he was transferred
through failing health to Dunbar, where he was able to continue
in service for 11 years. There followed another 2 years at Peebles,
when, in 1929 a heart attack rendered him unfit for any great
exertion and he went to the small mission of Oakly where he
spent the last 7 years.
A co-victim with his sister, who kept house for him, of influenza,
he survived her by one week dying in St Raphael’s home
on the Wednesday following her death.
Solemn Requiem Mass was celebrated at St Peter’s Falcon
Avenue, by His Grace Archbishop McDonald, who pronounced the
final Absolutions and afterwards officiated at Mount Vernon
Cemetery where Fr. McIntyre was buried.
Father Maguire, a close friend of Fr McIntyre, in his tribute
at the Requiem, spoke of his charming personality and his devotion
to duty, which won him the affectionate respect of all who knew
By kind permission of The Scottish Catholic Directory,
1938 edition, pages 393 - 394.