Patrick Lynch* was born on the 18th April 1907 in Ballyjamesduff,
County Cavan, Ireland. He was educated at St Patrick's College
Cavan between 1919 and 1924 and then St Patrick's College Carlow
from 1924 to 1931. He was ordained in Carlow on 11th June 1931
by Bishop Matthew Cullen of Kildare and Leighlin for the Archdiocese
of St Andrews and Edinburgh in Scotland.
His first posting was unusually as an assistant Priest in St
Patrick Kilsyth to Canon
Patrick Macnamara where he was to serve for just a year
until 1932. More usually, newly ordained Priests or Priests
who were coming to Scotland for the first time, were posted
into the large metropolitan parishes in Edinburgh – such
as St Mary’s Cathedral or St Patrick’s Edinburgh
– closer to the Bishop. It is perhaps a measure of the
trust and seniority of Canon Macnamara, who was shortly later
to become Monsignor Macnamara, that he was entrusted with the
induction of a newly ordained Priest into a new country.
Fr Lynch's career in Scotland then continued after his induction
in Kilsyth with a posting as assistant Priest to St Maries'
Kirkcaldy from 1932 to 1934. His first posting as Parish Priest
was Our Lady of the Waves at Dunbar from 1934 to 1936. Fr Lynch
then went in 1936 to Our Lady of Lourdes Blackburn again as
PP where he was to spend the whole of the war years and on until
1948. From 1948 to 1949 Fr Lynch served a short term in St Joseph’s
Thereafter he spent 12 years as Parish Priest of St Kenneth's
in the Parish of Lochore from 1949 to 1961 - following directly
on in the footsteps of Canon
Thomas McGarvie who had been the Parish Priest of Lochore
immediately before him, up until 1949. During this period he
was also charged with building the neighbouring church of St
Bernard's Ballingry in Fife which was dedicated in 1959.
After this 12 year posting in St Kenneth's he was charged with
the founding of a new parish, St Mark's Parish Oxgangs, which
he did in 1961 and he was also the builder of St Mark's Parish
Church which was dedicated the following year in 1962 and where
Fr Lynch stayed until 1965.
His final parish was St Margaret’s Dunfermline where
he was installed as a Canon of the Metroploitan Cathedral Chapter
of St Mary's in Edinburgh becoming 'Canon' Lynch in 1974. Around
this time Canon Lynch's health had been giving cause for concern
and arrangements were already underway for his retirement when
he died at Dunfermline on 14th November 1984, at the age of
77 and after 53 years of devoted service to the People of God
in the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh.
Faithful servant of God. May he rest in peace!
Ordination Class of 1931 St Patrick's
College, Carlow, Ireland.*
Fr J. Smyth, Fr F. Quinn, Fr P. Gormley, Fr H. Prior, Fr D McGillicuddy,
Fr J. Sheehy, Fr M. O'Connor, Fr J. Clougher, Fr J. Stack.
Front Row: Fr W O'Farrell, Fr W. Devine, Fr
D. Kennedy, Fr P. Lynch, Fr P. Keane, Fr P. Smyth, Fr
P. Bates, Fr J. McNamara, Fr J. O'Shea.
The following is a short article from the 'Carlovian'
1963 edition page 21, which is an annual publication in County
Carlow, Ireland recounting stories of interest, Irish culture
and local history.
'In September 1961 the task of forming a new parish in
a big new housing scheme in the Edinburgh district of Oxgangs
was given to Fr Patrick C. Lynch... It is a big undertaking
but already Fr Lynch's popularity is already paying dividends.
These good people are solidly behind him and despite the fact
of having to face a debt of £50,000 he is proud of his
new parish and it's people... Last year  he had
the honour of being appointed the preseident of the Scottish
Re-union. [ed - it was not uncommon for Irish Priest on
the Scottish Missions to have a reunion association at their
old college an appoint office bearers to organise events on
an annual basis.]
* Photographs courtesy of the Delany
Archive of Carlow College Ireland. Our thanks also to Bernie
Deasy archivist. © Delany Archive