in Borrodale on the Isle of Skye on 18 September 1844, he was
the third son of Angus MacDonald and Mary MacDonald (née
Watson). His elder brother was Hugh MacDonald, Bishop of Aberdeen.
Angus MacDonald was educated at St Cuthbert's College, Ushaw.
Afterwards, he graduated from the University of London with
a Bachelor of Arts.
After his ordination to the priesthood on 7 July 1872, he was
first stationed at St Patrick's Church, Anderston, Glasgow,
then sent to Arisaig, Inverness-shire to help the aged Father
William Mackintosh, at whose death he took charge of that parish.
There he laboured among the people he had known from childhood,
his knowledge of Gaelic enabling him to instruct and help those
and there were a great many of them who neither understood nor
Just after the Scottish Hierarchy was restored on 15 March
1878, he was appointed the first bishop of the Diocese of Argyll
and the Isles by the Holy See on 22 March 1878. He was consecrated
to the episcopate by Archbishop Charles Petre Eyre of Glasgow
on 23 May 1878, with Bishop James Chadwick of Hexham & Newcastle
and Bishop John MacDonald of Aberdeen serving as co-consecrators.
He took up his residence in Oban. There he devoted himself to
forming his new and scattered diocese, all of which he visited
in all seasons and in all kinds of weather. He became a familiar
sight on the Highland steamboats, often clad in oilskin and
sou'wester. He built churches and schools, and, with his priests,
worked incessantly for the glory of God and the increase of
the religion to which he and his ancestors had always adhered.
After 14 years as Bishop of Argyll and the Isles, he was translated
to the Metropolitan see of St Andrews and Edinburgh on 15 July
1892. As archbishop, he continued with the same zeal, humility,
gentleness, tact, and firm attention to everything in his new
duties as he had had under his old charge.
He died in office on 29 April 1900, aged 55
Text source - Wikipedia. Picture credit Scottish Catholic Archives.